These are excerpts from The History of LaClede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri, originally published by Goodspeed, 1889, that mention Dallas County ancestors, contributed here by Michelle Wilson. Because of the publication date, and because there is no copyright notice in the book, we believe that it is in the public domain and that, in any case, these excerpts fall within the provisions of "fair use". To get your own copy of this book see the Genealogy Publications page or search the online version at the University of Missouri Digital Library.
Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church was organized in the fall of 1869, by Elders John W. Fitch and David Morrow, with Green Williams and wife, Sanford Cheek, Martha Cheek, Joel Garner, Martha Garner, Frank Wingo, Nathan McDaniel, John Smith, Lucinda Smith, Nehemiah Smith, Carolina Smith and John Williams as constituent members. About the year 1870 this society erected their present frame church edifice, at a cost of $400. It is located in Township 33, Range 19. The pastors have been J. W. Fitch, Rev. Edwards, L.A. Smith, Daniel Bills, J. H. Steincipher, A. W. Kain, R. B. Carnett and E. D. Fortner. The membership is 102. The ordained deacons are John Smith, William E. Hoover, D. W. Beckner, R. H. Morgan and Norris Cheek. William E. Hoover was ordained minister August 26, 1888.